Last night putting Sam in bed I was telling him I love him and he said, "I love you mom but I love myself too. That's ok, right?"
And with that I've been thrown into a whole new chapter of parenting I'm not prepared for. How do you teach your children to have confidence in this world and to love themselves yet keep them humble enough to always treat others with kindness and compassion?Sam is a special little guy. He isn't really into sports and he is well behind his peers scholastically. He definitely notices and gets very frustrated. I'm so worried it will damage his self esteem. If you have ever talked talked to me I am sure I have asked, "When did (insert name of your child here) do (insert any benchmark)?"
Emotionally he is average and maybe slightly ahead. He wants to know why things are the way they are, and can talk and manipulate his way into or out of anything he wants. He understands things and asks really great questions.
But, I don't want him to feel bad for being behind in certain things the average kid is really good at. How do I teach him that he is perfect and doesn't have to like or be good at sports or counting or reading? When kids aren't good at the things they should stereotypically be good at, how do you teach them it's ok?When they struggle to find what they are good at, how do you help them down that path?
I think the hospital forgot to give me the handbook on successful parenting.
Maybe we should be putting money into a "my mom doesn't know what she's doing" therapy fund rather than a college fund...
In other news....
We were able to go to the pool this week. We bumped into this on way. The kids were obsessed.....
This is how Luke dresses for the pool now courtesy of his new obsession with woody and buzz....
For more on his obsession, check this out:
http://youtu.be/UMG0vZrr0EM
I also stumbled upon this scene the other day...
I'm not sure if it means,
"use this bathroom and you're a dead woman"
or
"if you are going to use this bathroom, you need this to protect yourself"
And, speaking of Sam being able to talk me into anything (which just occurred to me may be a weak point of mine rather than a strong point of his)
Luke got a new bike this week and despite the fact Sam already had a bike, he got a new matching one.
According to Sam, Noah will use Sam's old bike and Sam's butt is too big for the seat.
Here we are riding with a friend, who also has a matching bike....
And potty training isn't going great but the boys do like to pee on our car.
So there's that.
And Noah is starting an index finger sucking trend.
"Thumb sucking is so 2012"
Oh, and since I don't even have time these days to shower and I can't find anyone in asia who knows how to dye my hair blond, I've gone back to my natural color.
I'm embracing my frumpy mother of 3 lifestyle.
Off to buy bon bons.







You are nowhere near frumpy.
ReplyDeleteKeep in mind that victor went from barely reading 3 letter words to reading Harry potter in about 2 months at age 7 1/2.
A totally awesome per-writing and handwriting program is handwriting without tears. It's fun, too.
Have you read Why Gender Matters or Bette Late than Early?
Love you!!! You are a great Mom,!
You will NEVER be frumpy.
ReplyDeleteI think you'll teach him best by positive reinforcement and actions. In terms of scholastics, he has suuuuuch a long time to figure out what he likes and prefers and what he'll need to work on to strengthen. Patience and perseverance! :)
You are such a great mom. :)